Today Nick Nanton sits down with Remi Adeleke, author of the best-selling memoir, Transformed: A Navy SEAL’s Unlikely Journey from the Throne of Africa, to the Streets of the Bronx, to Defying All Odds, which was released in May of 2019.
Born in western Africa, he and his mother and brother relocated permanently to the Bronx in New York City following his father’s untimely death. After spending his youth making regrettable decisions on the streets of New York, Remi joined the Navy in 2002. He would later became a Navy SEAL, earning the SEAL of the Year award from the Naval Special Warfare Foundation. After ending his successful naval career in 2016, he has since become a best-selling author, sought-after public speaker, and a successful actor and military consultant for film and television. He is the current CEO of Remi Consulting and 8th Wonder Entertainment.
Remi holds a bachelor’s degree in organizational leadership and a master’s in strategic leadership, both from the University of Charleston. He lives in Southern California with his wife, Jessica, and their three sons, Cayden, Caleb, and Carter.
- 2:41: Remi discusses his upbringing in Western Africa and his father's position of power there
- 3:43: Remi speaks on his fond memories of the relationship he shared with his father
- 5:21: Remi and Nick talk parents and parenting philosophy
- 12:34: Remi explains how the same mindset that allowed him to be a Navy Seal benefits his career in Hollywood
- 16:45: Nick asks Remi how he knows when otherwise positive personality traits become unhealthy
- 18:45: Remi shares the story of how and why he went from living in a mansion in Nigeria to living in an apartment in the Bronx
- 23:14: Remi talks about the influence that rap and hip-hop culture had on his early life and how he views it today
- 29:54: Remi discusses the importance of having diversity in media
- 34:38: Remi shares his story of becoming a Navy Seal
- 40:41: Remi talks about why he decided to write a book about his experiences
- 45:00: Remi explains his philosophy on having faith to pursue new opportunities when they present themselves
- 54:43: Learn more about Remi and how to keep up with his journey