John Ruhlin is the founder of the Ruhlin Group, a gift strategy and logistics company that helps their clients send world-class gifts that stand out, increase referrals, and strengthen retention with their clients, employees and prospects. It all started when John began applying the principles of generosity at Cutco and started making the largest deals out of all of their 1.5 million reps and distributors. Suddenly he wasn’t just selling knives, people were asking him to speak on stage and teach their sales and marketing teams. John took those principles of giving that made him so successful at Cutco and used them to build the Ruhlin Group and write his own book, Giftology. In this episode, John discusses the path that led him to where he is now and how to put the methods of generosity that he lays out in Giftology to work for you.
- 0:47: Introduction
- 3:21: John and Nick discuss their upbringing and the driving factors for becoming an entrepreneur
- 11:06: John talks about his experience with Cutco and how it has helped him as an entrepreneur
- 14:59: John talks about learning to work through the hard things to reach success
- 18:04: John recounts a pivotal moment in his career and a lesson in giving
- 27:34: John and Nick discuss the importance of giving without expectations in business
- 31:23: John and Nick talk about practical luxuries and buying top-of-class no matter what your budget is
- 37:42: John discusses the connection in his book between the bible and giving
- 42:50: Why it's hard to ask employees to provide a first-class experience if they've never had one themselves and John's solution to this problem
- 48:46: John explains how to begin to use his methods laid out in his book "Giftology"